Children’s Day is recognized on various days in different parts of the world, to honor the children of the world. It was first proclaimed by the World Conference for the Well-being of Children (1925) and established universally in 1954 to protect children from working long hours in dangerous circumstances and to promote access to education for all children. The International Day for Protection of Children, observed in many countries on June 1, was established by the Women’s International Democratic Federation during its congress in Moscow in 1949. However, Children’s Day is often celebrated on other days as well. For example:
- Australians celebrates Children’s week during the fourth week in October.
- In Indonesia, Children’s Day is celebrate on July 23rd.
- November 14th, the birthday of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, who was fondly called Chacha Nehru (Uncle Nehru) or Chachaji (Beloved and respected uncle) by the children in his country.
- South Korean parents often give presents or take their children on excursions to celebrate Children’s Day, which falls on May 5th.
- In Thailand, “Wan Dek” (National Children’s Day) is celebrated on the second Saturday in January.
And, as we all know, in Vietnam Children’s Day is celebrated on June 1st.
But, for the LIN Center for Community Development, 2013 Children’s Day will be celebrated ALL SUMMER LONG through several exciting events and on-going programs that put a spotlight on the rights, needs and importance of children! We invite you to join in these efforts to improve the lives and futures of all children in Ho Chi Minh City! There are many ways to engage:
– LIN’s Community Partnership Initiative 2013 links companies and nonprofit organizations towards the shared goal of raising awareness about the needs of children in HCMC. In the process, nonprofit staff gain valuable communication skills and experience while companies build stronger links to the local community. If you want to learn how you and your colleagues can take part in the CPI, read more. Hurry up, the deadline to sign up is June 19!
– LIN’s Narrow the Gap Community Fund, is an effort to identify and address challenges in our city by working together and building local resources. This summer, LIN will be raising funds and requesting proposals for projects that address the needs of children in HCMC. We will then ask you – the residents of HCMC – to vote for the best projects. A culminating community event, taking place in September, will engage all of you in direct action to improve the lives of children in HCMC. Stay tuned for further details about the next grant round on our Blog and Facebook page or contact LIN at: info@LINvn.org.
Let’s all join the global celebration of Children on 1 June!
And join LIN’s efforts to address the needs of disadvantaged children throughout HCMC!