Project title: Let’s Learn E-book for visually impaired children (click here to watch a 2 minute video about this project)
Organization: The Center for Multilanguage Database Kim Tu Dien
Organization’s mission: Research and invent high tech electronic products in education which enable everyone learn English anytime anywhere.
Timing: October 2013 to May 2014
What is the goal/purpose of this project? Why is this project necessary?
- In order to improve and enhance the English learning environment for visually impaired children in Vietnam, the project creates Let’s Learn digital textbook based on the textbook published by the Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training.
- Our study implemented at a number of shelters, centers, clubs and schools in Ho Chi Minh city shows that there are approximately 500 visually impaired children who are of school age. However, there is a lack of relevant learning conditions and facilities for them, especially with regards to textbooks for studying English. With the help of this project, visually impaired children will gain access to the most recent educational materials.
Who will benefit from this project?
- The beneficiaries are any visually impaired children who start to learn English (this E-book is suitable for children 6 to 10 years old).
- Estimated number of such children in Ho Chi Minh City area: 500 visually impaired children who are of school age in shelters, center, clubs and schools. In the future, the E-book can also be made available for visually impaired children all over Vietnam.
Describe the main project activities:
The project consists of 3 main stages:
- Programming: designing methods and forms suitable for visually impaired children.
- Database preparation: digitize lessons from Let’s learn textbook.
- Recording and finishing the book: voice parts of the E-book will be recorded and edited.
Click here to download Project Budget
What will this project change? How will you measure the success of your project?
The purpose of project is to provide an opportunity to learn English for visually impaired children. The project’s long term result will be helping these children with their career orientation. Visually impaired people are usually forced to become manual workers due to challenges they face with education and professional training. English proficiency gives them power to find better more secure jobs, have higher earnings and brighter future. At the same time, the more visually impaired people are able to advance in life applying their English skills, the more children will be motivated to follow in their footsteps.
Photos depicting the organization’s work:
KDMC consists of 3 departments: Operational department specializes in organizing, managing and evaluating the projects; Language database department is responsible for editing database; and Programing department compiles the software and digitizes database. KDMC is an organization providing the electronic products in education, especially devices and software dedicating to visually impaired people.
KDMC actively supports society by such particular philanthropic activities and programs of action as: visit the disadvantaged households; have discussions with visually impaired children at shelters, centers and schools in Ho Chi Minh city in order to understand more about their circumstances, aspirations, and learning needs.
From a few core members at the beginning, KDMC now has 30 members. They always strive to research and invent the electronic educational products of high quality.