Project title: Creating a Video about Reproductive Health and Life Skills Education for visually and hearing impaired teenagers
Organization: Ho Chi Minh City Association for the support of people with disabilities and orphans
Advocating for the rights of the people with disabilities and orphans by improving their quality of life, particularly focusing on the right to life, safety and personal development.
Timing: January, 2014 – December, 2014
What is the goal/purpose of this project?
To provide training regarding Reproductive Health for teenagers, in particular for handicapped and orphans, to enable them to control their physiological state despite physical changes of adolescence, to prevent sexual harassment and to know how to act in a situation of sexual harassment or abuse.
Why is this project necessary?
- In 2012-2013, The Association organized a project “Reproductive Health and Life Skills Education for children with disabilities”. Over 120 visually and hearing impaired children between 10 and 16 years old, 30 school teachers and caregivers from many shelters and orphanages in Ho Chi Minh City participated in the project and attended trainings. However, the 2012-2013 project, being a pilot, offered training to a limited number of children due to budget constraints. We would like to spread the successful experience to other areas in HCMC. Moreover, in order for the children to remember and apply their new skills in practice in an emergency situation, they need to listen to the same information more than once.
- The video will become a consistent and effective communication tool that 30 social workers involved in the project can use to teach the topic to the children with disabilities.
- The video will be used in multiple situations. It will be distributed through the Association to parents who have visually and hearing impaired children in Ho Chi Minh City and who have children studying at schools for children with disabilities. It will be shared with the Association’s branches all over Vietnam. It will also be broadcasted on TV channels (tentatively HTV7).
Who will benefit from this project?
- Visually and hearing impaired children, orphans receiving care at various shelters and orphanages in Ho Chi Minh City. They will benefit by attending the workshop introducing the video and by watching the clip.
- The Association branches in 46 provinces of Vietnam and, as a result, children with disabilities and orphans they support. The video will be posted on the Association’s website.
Describe the main project activities:
A- Create the video
B- Hold a workshop for teachers, parents, adults with disabilities, and caretakers of teenagers with disabilities to introduce the video, to explain how the video can be used, and to discuss ways to share the video
C- Introduce the video to 46 provinces, other provinces and cites, mass media agencies, and organizations working to protect children’s rights.
- Creating the video: 187,800,000vnd
- Holding the workshop and for collecting feedback 3 months following the workshop to evaluate how effectively the video is used: 22,000,000vnd.
- Broadcasting the video on HTV7 and other mass media channels, sharing the video throughout 46 provinces and cities in across the country: 22,000,000vnd.
- Project administration cost: 29,590,000vnd.
What will this project change? How will you measure the success of your project?
- Visually and hearing impaired teenagers understand the physical changes during adolescence, psychological peculiarities of adolescence, and are able to distinguish between friendship, love and sex.
- The teenagers understand how to prevent sexual harassment and how to act in a situations of sexual harassment or abuse.
Photos depicting the organization’s work:
Children receiving scholarship
Nghia is learning to paint at the Association’s vocational training center
General health care and dental care provided with the support of the Association at Tan Luoc Commune, Binh Tan District, Vinh Long Province